Wednesday, October 30, 2013

My Little Adult

Elijah has always been very mature for his age. I am so used to him being a little adult, that I think that I just expect him to act a certain way. But sometimes he still surprises me. This last weekend we went down to Illinois without Dustin. On Friday morning Dustin left for work, and I started doing the last minute scrambles to get all of the last minute stuff packed and loaded into the Tahoe. While I was in the shower Elijah came to the door and informed me that he was "taking the little ones downstairs and getting them bagels." When I came downstairs, I saw much to my surprise that he done just that. He had even toasted the bagels for them, and he had gotten them milk from the fridge! Since he had the younger two occupied I started bringing bags downstairs. Everytime I came down with a new load Elijah would talk to himself and then take the bags and sort them into piles of what he thought needed to go out first. By the time I had everything downstairs, he had everything sorted and piled at the front door. The whole scene was identical to what Dustin does, right down to the talking to himself. Elijah then informed me that he would get his coat on and help me take it all outside. About 20 minutes into the drive Elijah called to me from his perch in the back, and let me know since Dad wasn't here, he was going to help me with everything. While we were at my parents house he was a very good big brother, and he helped a lot with the little ones. Elijah helped me pack and sort everything again, when it was time to go home. He didn't want to let me take things out to the car, because I was a girl. He, Allen and Grandpa could do it for me. 
The whole weekend made me realize how much Elijah is like his Daddy. They both are always willing to step up and help. I am glad that Elijah has such a good example in his Daddy. Without even trying Dustin is teaching him how to be a good and thoughtful person. I love my boys! 

2 comments:

Karen said...

Elijah is such a good kid. He has such good examples in both his Mom and Dad. It's so interesting isn't it when little boys start acting like their Daddy. He acted like a little man the whole time you were here. He's amazing.

auntieerin said...

Oh geez, he even did the talking to himself? I'm just kidding- Dustin, you know I love you! Elijah never ceases to amaze me. He is just such a great kid!