Monday, March 22, 2010

Potty Training and Bribery

I have known for a little while now that Elijah is a funny kid. The whole potty training experience with him is really the first time in his life that I have had to try to bribe into doing something. I know from a couple of experiences, that food does not work as bribery for him. He is the only two year old that I have ever known that would not do anything for a cookie or a piece of candy. Regardless of this fact, I did still try to motivate him with a cookie to get him to go potty on the potty seat for me. It worked occassionally but not consistently, and it was really starting to frustrate me. So, Dustin and I had to get creative with Elijah's rewards. In the morning Eli has decided that he likes to take showers by himself. So we have started giving him that as a reward for his morning potty time. He loves it! He just stands in the shower and talks about how good the warm water feels on his back and on his hair. And do not even think about getting in the shower with him to save time and hot water, it is not allowed! He yells "no, mine shower!," and will not share. LOL At night before bed we have started using Eli's vaporizer as his reward for going potty. Elijah has been sick the last week and a half or so with a cold, and he has become completely obsessed with the vaporizer. He calls it his "tsst, tsst" machine. If Eli goes potty at night, then he gets to help me get the "tsst, tsst" machine ready and set up in his room for him. Eli is a funny kid, but I think that Dustin and I are starting to figure out his quirks.

3 comments:

Emily said...

I love it!! I think it is great how different kids can be.
I also love that Eli is already potty training. You are awesome. I wish our kids liked showers. Our home doesn't have any tubs, so we had to buy a large baby tub. It would make life a lot easier if they just liked the shower.

Megan C. said...

What a funny little man! Can't wait to see him!

Karen said...

Elijah is the best!!!!! I have a feeling though, that as soon as you guys think you have him figured out, he'll change tactics on you! LOL