Monday, October 7, 2013

The Giderman

Gideon gave us quite the scare this past Sunday. He has been sick with the flu since Thursday, but he never felt hot, or like he had a fever. Then on Sunday morning, mid Mickey Mouse Hot Dog dance, he had a seizure caused by a high spike in his temperature. Elijah immediately ran upstairs to get Dustin, while I sat next to Gideon and waited for him to stop seizing. The seizure only lasted 3 minutes, but I think they were the longest 3 minutes of Dustin and my lives. Dustin called the paramedics, and they came in just a few minutes. Gideon was done seizing when they came, and he had rolled onto his belly and was completely unconscious asleep. He didn't wake up the whole time the paramedic was examining him. Thankfully, his breathing was normal and besides the fever, he was fine. The paramedic sat with him for a few minutes to make sure he was going to be responsive and then they left. He told me to just leave Gideon on the floor and let him wake up on his own. As an emotional (3 month pregnant) mom, that was hard to do. I just wanted to hold my little Cheese Curd! So, Elijah and I sat next to him and waited. Every few minutes Elijah would reach out and rub Gideon's back very gently and ask when he was going to wake up. About 20 minutes later Gideon woke up, and he was not happy. He was in a very scary and very angry daze. His eyes were still glazed over, and he yelled at his Daddy quite nastily anytime Dustin talked to him, or looked at him. Dustin gave Gideon some medicine for his fever, and then Gideon curled up on my chest and fell asleep for 2 and a half hours. When Gideon finally woke up, he smiled at me, crawled off my lap and went upstairs to find Elijah and Emme. It is amazing how quickly kids recover! I wish Dustin and I could have recovered as quickly. Lol Thankfully, Gideon seems to be doing a lot better today. He still has some pretty gross and explosive diarrhea, but it is better than it was. His fever doesn't seem to have come back, and he felt cool through the night Sunday. We are very grateful that Gideon is fine and that he is getting back to his normal happy little Giderman self. This morning, he danced the full Mickey Mouse Hot Dog Dance without incident! Lol

5 comments:

Megan C. said...

How scary! We are so glad he's ok! Poor baby! And poor mommy and daddy!

Lily said...

So scary.....I still think of when that happened with Dall and shiver. Brian was away (of course) and the older kids were in school. I drove him to the Dr. office worried that something was wrong because he'd had a head trauma a week or two prior.....(grocery cart fell on his face). Doc said no, just a spike in fever but......poor kids, poor parents

auntieerin said...

Wow! That sounds like quite the ordeal. But I am so glad that Gideon is okay. I read Lily's comment and those kinds of seizures run in families so at least now you know, right? I'm glad it happened over the weekend so Dustin was there with you. Although geez, after growing up in our house, you are like a pro in emergency situations! Anyway, I'm glad Gideon was back doing his hot dog dance like nothing happened!

Karen said...

I'm so sorry that happened to all of you. Poor Gideon, and poor Momma and Daddy. How wonderful that the paramedics knew exactly what it was and were able to comfort you. The worst thing in the world for a parent is for something scarey to happen to their child and not be able to do anything about it but wait it out. So glad he's doing better.

Emily said...

I am so glad that he is okay! That would be a scary thing to experience, and I am glad that the paramedics were so helpful.
And, I didn't know you were pregnant, so CONGRATULATIONS!!!